Pages

Friday 13 April 2012

Crochet Card 3D Wall Art - Java Jive


I've been making a few crochet card thingies since I mastered the technique here, but there's a limit to how many pencil holders and nik nak boxes I can have around the place, so i thought ... let's stick it on the wall.

I have always admired the tea-cup shape that I posted about previously from Tea With Friends but I don't drink tea. I dink coffee, a lot of coffee. So here's my homage to my morning Java shot.


I worked out a template in card, then chose some suitable imagery - 'Modern Art'.



I really like the Edward Hopper image of the woman drinking coffee at a table (Automat - Hopper 1927) - I wanted her inside the cup in her isolation so that you had to peek to find her. 


My machine embroidery skills are still in their infancy as you can see! But it's great fun, I'll be practising this over the next few months especially as I picked up a wonderful retro book on the subject from a charity shop last week - deserves a blog post all of its own.



For the background to the finished piece I chose two contrasting fabrics, ran them through the sewing machine then stretched and glued the lot to stiff card. 
Once I'd placed the cup and saucer in a nice dynamic position, a few stitches held the cup and saucer in place and ... ta da!





I'm linking this post with the Handmade Monday linky party - see what everyone else is making this week.

13 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Very, very clever Ms. Abi! I love the extra little touches that you added. And your machine embroidery looks wonderful. I hope you'll post about the book -- it looks very interesting!

BoPeep said...

This is really cool! You always come up with such clever things. And what a find on that embroidery book. Please do a post on that too!

Wendy said...

Wow, this is just gorgeous! I am now off to have a look at the rest of your blog! Thank you for linking up to Handmade Monday - welcome! x

Lululoves said...

This is lovely - so unique, I love that you have to peek into it to see those fabulous images. Emma x

Tickled Pink said...

That is amazing! Absolutely fantastic. And the book looks lovely, can't wait to see your post about it. xxx

sue said...

Wow this is so unusual and quite stunning. Hugs Sue x

butterflyblossom said...

I really like this, especially the picture on the inside!! X

Fiddly Fingers said...

This is different! Funnily enough something along these lines had crossed my mind recently, but that's as far as I got! From Wendy's comment it looks like you are new to Handmade Monday, it's good to meet different bloggers, I shall look forward to seeing other things you make in the coming weeks!

Abi said...

How nice to see so many visitors from Handmade Monday - thanks for the welcome Wendy.

I have visited a few blogs since linking (Lululoves the crochet pom pom slippers are fab).
A lot of seasoned crocheters out there, I'll have to try some tutorials as I can only really crochet in a straight line! - I do love your crochet flower Fiddly Fingers.

Great to meet you all :-)

Handbags by Helen said...

that's really unusual. Love it - your very clever!

lovetartan said...

wow how unusual is that - really lovely! Mich x

Jan said...

Gosh, I'm just managing to get around everyone on the HM linky, I sometimes don't manage everyone but I'm glad I had a chance to see your blog (these linky parties are a great way to find new blogs).
I love the image you have created, I'm just learning to do some machine embroidery and hopefully will improve with time and practice.

Jan :)

Highland Monkey's said...

Just spotted your teacup, and goodness me, that is brilliant. I like the way the little lady is having her cuppa hiding inside!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...